Skip to content

Practice News

Economic growth stretching services – Ibec

2nd December 2019

The employers’ group Ibec has warned that bottlenecks in transport, housing and childcare are making it more difficult for companies to hire and retain workers. In its latest Quarterly Economic Outlook, Ibec says it expects the economy to grow at a more moderate pace in the coming years. The employers’ group expects the economy to […]

Read More

Highest weekly earnings in ICT sector – CSO

27th November 2019

Average weekly earnings in the economy grew by 3.4% in the year to the end of September, according to the Central Statistics Office.  Average earnings in the private sector grew by 3.9% while earnings in the public sector grew by 1.3%.  The highest average weekly earnings were in the information and communications sector at €1,255.49 […]

Read More

Revenue warning consumers about hidden costs of online shopping

27th November 2019

Revenue is cautioning consumers to be aware of hidden taxes and charges when they’re buying goods online in the run into Christmas and discount days such as Black Friday. They are reminding shoppers that while the cost of goods advertised online can appear attractively low, it may because tax and duty has not been included […]

Read More

State fund loses €750k due to ‘human error’

27th November 2019

A State fund set up to support jobs in Ireland lost €750,000 on an investment because of a human error which wrongly categorised the money as euro when it should have been in dollars.  When the rate of exchange moved against the State body it lost thousands because it failed to put in place a […]

Read More

Dublin businesses face rate hike over funding row

25th November 2019

Businesses in Dublin city could be facing a big rate increase if the Government refuses to compromise on a funding row with the city council. The issue centres on the loss of €8.4m because of a change to rate liabilities for Irish Water facilities. Last week councillors refused to pass a number of measures including reduced community funding, […]

Read More

Brexit hiatus lifts consumer and business confidence

25th November 2019

Progress towards the achievement of a Brexit resolution has lifted consumer confidence this month, new research has found. But the Bank of Ireland Economic Pulse for November also recorded that despite the brighter consumer mood, Brexit uncertainty continues to weigh on businesses’ investment plans. The index, a composite of separate measures of consumer and business […]

Read More

Brexit hiatus lifts consumer and business confidence

25th November 2019

Progress towards the achievement of a Brexit resolution has lifted consumer confidence this month, new research has found. But the Bank of Ireland Economic Pulse for November also recorded that despite the brighter consumer mood, Brexit uncertainty continues to weigh on businesses’ investment plans. The index, a composite of separate measures of consumer and business […]

Read More

Black Friday sees surge in online spending but more people shop in store

25th November 2019

Consumers still spend more in store than online on Black Friday, according to research carried out by AIB. Analysing the card usage habits of shoppers on Black Friday 2018, the spending data revealed that 69% of consumers shopping on the day procured their goods in store with the remaining 31% shopping online. However, the data points […]

Read More

Black Friday sees surge in online spending but more people shop in store

25th November 2019

Consumers still spend more in store than online on Black Friday, according to research carried out by AIB. Analysing the card usage habits of shoppers on Black Friday 2018, the spending data revealed that 69% of consumers shopping on the day procured their goods in store with the remaining 31% shopping online. However, the data points […]

Read More

US Fed members unanimously reject negative rates – minutes

22nd November 2019

US central bankers last month dismissed the idea of taking interest rates into negative territory, something President Donald Trump has called for many times, according to meeting minutes released last night.  Evidence for the benefits of negative interest rates – lenders must pay borrowers rather than the other way around – has proven “mixed” in […]

Read More
Scroll To Top